Custom web application development of employee vacation and absence management system. During this contract, responsibilities included:
- working with client to define requirements, and define user stories for minimum feature set.
- helping the client understand and choose a hosting solution that best fit their business needs, and eventually transition them away from their current solution that no longer met their technical requirements.
- deployment and a fixed period of support.
Once user stories were defined, a custom web application was built that:
- allowed separate groups within the organization to independently manage employee absence.
- allowed all users to book vacation based on a complex set of rules.
- allowed all users to manage different aspects of their vacation.
- allowed all users access to a dashboard and calendar that reflected all vacation and absence for their specific group, as well as the organization as a whole.
- allowed administrative users to define rules, configure the settings of the management system, and manage user and vacation/absence data.
The technology stack for the system included PHP 5.6 and MySql 5 running on a Linux Debian host. The application was built using the Zend 2 MVC framework with Propel 2 as the ORM, while exposing REST endpoints for server side communication.